Maybe this is why the Saints lost?
Oh, it was because of turnovers and poor clock management?
Sigh. This low fat, low sodium take on boneless Buffalo wings was worth the effort, even if at one point I nearly threw one at my TV.
Let’s start with the wing sauce.
Guilt Free Wing Sauce
(makes just over one cup)
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 1 cup hot sauce (we’re Crystal lovers)
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1 t paprika
- 1 t cayenne
- 1 T honey
- Salt and pepper to taste (we used just a pinch of both)
Heat the ghee in a small saucepan. Add remaining ingredients, stirring well to combine. Set aside to cool slightly.
Bad Luck Buffalo Bites
(serves 8 as an appetizer)
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend (hear me out – rice flour creates a nice crisp)
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1/2 t paprika
- 1/2 t cayenne pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces (try to find chicken without added salt water)
Whisk egg and milk together in a medium sized bowl. Add chicken to soak.
In a large mixing bowl, mix dry ingredients. In batches, toss chicken pieces. I used my air fryer at 380 degrees for 13-15 minutes (pausing halfway through to shake and turn the chicken pieces with each batch) with spray coconut oil – but you could easily use a conventional oven. Simply place chicken pieces on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, spray lightly with cooking spray, and bake for 8 minutes. Flip the pieces over, spray again, and bake for another 6-8 minutes.
Cool slightly, and toss in half a cup of the wing sauce before plating. Reserve remaining wing sauce in the refrigerator for future use.
But what is Buffalo chicken without blue cheese dressing? Y’all, I’ve got you covered.
Blue Cheese Dressing
(makes about a cup and a half)
- 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced finely
- 1 t freshly ground pepper
- Scant pinch, kosher salt
Mix together well and refrigerate to let flavors combine. Serve with buffalo bites and the vegetables of your choosing.
Oh well, maybe next year, Saints.